#3. Visit an Art Gallery

This weekend we went a cottaging. The weather varied between warm/rainy and beautiful/sunny/awesome. We had, what people may call, Weather. I’ve always loved refering to the changing temps as Weather.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.  Before we went to the cottage, we visited King Tut, who happens to be staying at the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario)…well, it’s quite possible he isn’t actually there, but his stuff is, and so is the stuff of some of his buddies.

There are no pictures allowed inside, so the best I could get was a flyer from AGO…either way it was a really great exhibit and if you want to see it, you can’t see it here.  Today is the last day in Toronto; luckily my mother-in-law was nice enough to swing us some tickets at the last minute. It was just spectacular to be able to see jewelery and little statues and trinkets that are four thousand years old and still in amazing condition; other than the cat sarcophagus, which was a bit weird for me. Plus I have this nagging suspicion that the cat may not have died at the exact moment that it’s owner did, poor kitty.

I also got to see the ‘new’ AGO building, which isn’t all that new, I just haven’t been there since the renovations.  This room is amazing:

It’s like being in the skeleton of a giant canoe; how Canadian.

Then we were off to the cottage.  It was raining when I got there, so naturally, I promptly slipped on a rock, skinned my knee, snapped a very nice Nautica golf umbrella in half, spilled my tea, dropped a bucket AND, to add insult to injury, fell in the lake, filling my rubber boots up with water.  I don’t like doing things half-assed, especially when falling is involved.Ouch!

It stopped raining and we went to the driving range.  If you were wondering, my golf skills have really gone down hill in the last 25 years or so, basically, I’m a terrible driver.  I can putt.  Well, I can play mini-golf, I’m not certain that means I can putt.

We also barbecued, which is always fun, since we don’t have any yard space in the city; barring frequent ‘visits’ to  my in-law’s house, of course.

And, since tis the season, we all went out for a good, old fashioned fiddlehead picking.  What? you say. You’ve never picked/eaten/heard of fiddleheads?  Well, they are bascially baby ferns that have yet to open, murdered brutally by my fingers and thrown into a bucket, to be eaten at a later time. Yum.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I will kill my own food.

We ended up with about 4 pounds, which goes for about $20 at the grocery store, they’re pretty pricey.  I then washed and blanched them.  We’ll eat some for dinner, but I’m freezing the rest as they start to go wilty and brown pretty quickly otherwise.  If you like asparagus, definitely give fiddleheads a try.

Now that we’re home and he is no longer allowed to roam free, Henry’s sulking.

The kitten, well, she basically ignores me 99% of the time anyway, the other 1% I’m feeding her.  I’m not sure she noticed that we had gone anywhere.

Hope everyone had as great a weekend as I did!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to #3. Visit an Art Gallery

  1. Jess says:

    I keep seeing recipes using fiddleheads! They sound really interesting and would love to try some but have not seen them at the market.

    I’m sorry to hear about you skinning your knees. Ouch. At least it was nothing too major.

    Dude, that King Tut thing, my old roommate and one of my best friends, is an Egyptology major and is obsessed with all things Egyptian. She would’ve LOVED that exhibit.

    Henry just needs a nice, long nap nap. His expression cracks me up. “WHAT YOU WANT? ME SLEEP.”

  2. John says:

    That was quite the fall! Heard of fiddleheads before but have never looked for or tried them yet.

  3. Stephie says:

    ohhh, you fell in the lake. That sounds more like something that I would do since I have a tendency to trip over flat surfaces. It sounds like you guys had fun this past weekend. See you soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s